Peter Glassford R.Kin, Pn1
- Owner and Head Coach at Smart Athlete
- Registered Kinesiologist (R.Kin)
- Member of Ontario Kinesiology Association
- Bachelor’s Degree in Kin, Minors Bio/English/Business
- Nccp Level 3 Cycling Coach (mtb, bmx, road)
- Experienced in MTB-XC, DH, Cyclocross, Road as coach and athlete
- Precision Nutrition Certification and Coaching Methodology
- Elite Athlete since 2003
- Professional Coach since 2007, instructing cycling for over 16 years.
I have been coaching for since 2003 and competing in endurance sport since 1997. I started Coaching myself initially and then my local clubs and friends. This early interest in the sport and personal improvement led me to pursue a University Degree in Kinesiology, Biology and English. During University I met Steve Neal and began 5 years of apprenticeship and partnership with Steve. Eventually developing my own business specializing in training for busy people based on developing movement skill first has allowed me to help athletes achieve personal bests including National Team, Provincial/National Championship successes and numerous personal bests in varied endurance disciplines as well as general health and well-being.
Featured in Publications as an Expert and Writer:
- Canadian Cycling Magazine – link
- MyFitnessPal Cycling Articles – google search
- Featured expert in: Fuel Your Ride – Amazon
- Featured expert in: Saddle, Sore – Amazon
Client Successes Include:
- National team selection, National Champions and World Championships team
- upgrades to higher categories
- Children, youth and adult group sessions resulting in greater fun, skill and love of sport
- personal skill enhancement to keep up with riding groups and enjoy(!) cycling
- Personal bests in events as varied as the Ironman, running events, Transrockies, Leadville 100 (LV100), BC Bike Race (BCBR) and Xterra events.
- 100 Miler and MTB Marathon Completion, including those training only 8 hours a week
- Many Successful at 2007-2010 Crank the Shield
- 40km TT improvements.
- 5hr Hill climbs in Hawaii
- Beginner cyclist goes from zero cycling to Alpe D’Huez in 5 weeks Prep!
To create high performance for each of my clients I start first with the foundations of wellness. Nutrition, Sleep, Socialization and Movement. Most people (me included!) have trouble in one of these areas and we are in need of constant practice to stay on top of our wellness. I see my role as a coach and Kinesiologist as being there to help my clients assess where the weak points are and develop habits and strategies to be there best on the bike and in their lives.
Personal Athletic Accomplishments and Experience
I also race for Trek Canada MTB Team. I race a bit of everything moderately well. Cylocross, Downhill, Enduro, Road and MTB (xco, eliminator, single-speed, Endurance). I have been 5th 2013 National XCO, 2013 National Single Speed Champion, 2012 Provincial MTB champion, Canadian Leadville 100 Record Holder(2011), 24 hour solo completion and 22nd at 2008 St. Anne World Cup. I have also completed in numerous running events including a 3hr Running-Marathon and completion of the Kilarney trail (82km) in 12 hours, the Fastest Known Time (FKT) at the time. You can go back through my adventures pre-2013 here. In summer 2017 I am working towards Ironman Canada and several smaller triathlons.